BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2017 is looking for a Corporate Controller to oversee the financial activity of the company, including Accounting, Treasury, Audit, Tax and various areas of Financial Reporting. This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate, high energy Corporate Controller in its Austin, Texas headquarters. The Corporate Controller will be an integral leader within the Finance organization, reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer in Austin.
Success depends on your demonstrated ability to influence at levels above and below your own, both internally and externally, leveraging your engaged and high performing team as well as other cross functional partners. The analytical, technical accounting, process improvement, reporting and compliance expertise you have gained over the last 12 years of your career, combined with at least 7 years of people management experience (preferably including remote international management experience) will enable you to provide insightful conclusions and drive to appropriate and accurate decisions as you support accurate reporting of the company, as well as business initiatives. Your exceptional ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing will be critical as you provide regular, timely and accurate financial readouts with appropriate context to leadership. You will have demonstrated the ability to work successfully and with speed in a cross functional and international environment, managing day to day details and analytics of your team and then synthesizing them into a concise executive message for leadership.
You bring 12+ years of experience in accounting/finance from a combination of industry controllership roles and public accounting and you are a licensed Certified Public Accountant. You have experience working in finance or accounting management positions at a U.S. publicly traded company with multi-national operations, and possess an advanced knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting and internal controls requirements. You have a very strong aptitude for learning, can quickly grasp complex concepts and data and summarize for relevant key messages, and are comfortable driving change and managing within a high-growth business.
What You Will Do
- Oversee the financial activity of the Company which includes Accounting, Treasury, Audit, Tax, and certain aspects of Financial Reporting.
- Work cross-functionally with the FP&A team to assist with the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly forecasts.
- Establish, monitor and enforce policies, procedures and internal controls to guide decision making and protect assets.
- Research, understand and comply with all legal and taxation requirements and legislations, enforcing adherence to requirements and filing financial reports in accordance with all laws both locally and internationally. Experience with transfer pricing or working with international subsidiaries is a plus.
- Serve as an advisor to Executives and leadership as it relates to trends and analysis that will drive continued improvement and efficiencies across the business.
- Prepare presentations to influence communication and recommendations around strategic initiatives, including investor decks, board reports and valuation reports.
- Establish localized payment processing options for international customers.
- Lead global monthly close process, including analytical review of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained.
- Prepare and/or manage the timely presentation of all GAAP and non-GAAP reporting to executive management, both at the Corporate level and at more granular levels to provide the proper insight.
- Oversight and management of all transactional accounting processes – including receivables, payables, purchasing, payroll and general ledger.
- Responsible for research and recommendations on technical accounting and reporting matters, leveraging external accountants and advisors as needed.
- Lead and manage the global U.S. GAAP audits and quarterly reviews, including responsibility for coordination, relationships, fee reviews and overall management of annual and quarterly audits.
- Review, challenge and improve accounting practices and policies as the company scales.
- Coach, develop, and mentor the Accounting and Billing/Receivable teams.
Who You Are
- 12+ years of overall experience, with at least 5 years of experience in a Controller/Finance Director role.
- Licensed certified public accountant.
- Experience managing an Accounting and Billing team. Prior experience managing an offshore team a plus.
- Previous audit experience with a Big 4 Accounting Firm. Must have a deep understanding of the Auditing process and methodology
- Must be proficient in US GAAP, SEC reporting and technically strong in financial reporting, especially revenue recognition.
- Experience managing the financial statement close and reporting process.
- Strong knowledge of risk management and internal controls.
- Prior experience at SAAS/Technology high growth companies and high performance teams.
- Experience with SaaS based accounting and business applications (web-based accounting platforms, SalesForce, ePayment Solutions, and digital processes).
- Experience with the Zuora billing system a big plus.
- Possess a strong attention to detail, operate effortlessly in a highly dynamic environment and leverage cross-functional working skills to move with agility.
- Born leader with exceptional interpersonal skills who invests in the growth and development of people, team members and relationships.
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible ecommerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store. BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive ecommerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven team building activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events, i.e., the opportunity to work with various charitable groups within BigCommerce for underprivileged children, homeless pets, and a variety of other causes.