BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in San Francisco 2017 is looking for a Lead Data Modeler to design, build and maintain critical infrastructure that will enable us to continue our data-driven approach to decision-making. Drawing on deep experience in data analysis and management, this role will bridge the gap between the technical teams and processes that generate data and the army of eager consumers of that data. Equally comfortable with business problem statements and technical specifications, this individual will have a seat at the table with the data engineering team to discuss architecture, the product team to understand and inform the roadmap, and the business teams to measure the effectiveness of our strategy.
What you'll do
The Lead Data Modeler is responsible for both the theory and practice of making BigCommerce a data-driven organization. Reporting into the Director of Analytics, this role will design, develop and manage data solutions for use by internal stakeholders in product management, sales, marketing and finance. Working closely with Data Engineering, he or she will architect data definitions and structure and oversee the ETLs that populate them in order to deliver meaningful, high-quality data to downstream users and platforms, including data scientists, business and product analysts, reporting platforms, and automated processes. The successful candidate will:
- Draw on deep experience with data management and analysis to identify improvements and increase efficiency, reliability and usability of data across the organization.
- Collaborate with product managers and data engineering to guarantee that data pipelines will enable measurement of product KPIs.
- Engage with analysts throughout the organization to understand common data requests and key metrics. Define and document the underlying metrics and design robust infrastructure (ETLs, table structures, metadata) to enable consistent reporting on those metrics throughout the organization.
- Scale computing resources to process very large datasets in order to productionalize algorithms developed by data scientists and embed their results into business and product applications.
- Ensure that automated quality testing and failure detection is embedded throughout every data pipeline.
- Indirectly manage and define requirements for engineers developing new data pipelines, database infrastructure and instrumentation.
- Directly manage contractor resources to perform database administration, API integrations and pipeline maintenance.
Who you are
You see data as the fundamental building block of organizational success. In every role you’ve ever had, you’ve gravitated toward organizing and applying data to solve the key challenges facing the organization. You’re a trusted professional who can hold your own in conversations with business leaders and technical architects. You thrive in a fast-paced environment where you can apply your technical expertise and business acumen to increase productivity and decision-making through quantification, measurement and scientific thinking. In addition you have:
- 5+ years of experience with data in a cross-functional role (analytics, business intelligence, data science, data warehousing, product management)
- Bachelor’s degree or similar work experience in a technical discipline (information science, mathematics, computer science, econometrics, etc)
- Expert-level skills in SQL (preferably in more than one dialect), ideally with exposure to both Postgres/Redshift and MySQL
- Intermediate to advanced scripting skills in Python and shell scripting
- Experience in management and administration of cloud computing resources, preferably Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Proven ability to overcome the challenges of processing large structured datasets (tens of billions of rows)
- Well-versed in the tradeoffs of different data storage approaches (row-oriented vs columnar, relational vs. non-relational, structured vs. unstructured)
- Some exposure to real-time event data streaming
- Availability to travel both domestically and internationally 2-4 times annually
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Three especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven teambuilding activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events