BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores at a fraction of the cost to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce seeks a world-class ecommerce leader to oversee its P&L and business operations in Australia/NZ and, at least for the next year+, Asia. BigCommerce was originally founded in Sydney in 2009. Today, our Sydney-based team of 65+ professionals consists of a full business team (sales, marketing, business development, and service) plus a meaningful part of our global product and engineering team. We have the most substantial presence in, and commitment to, Australia of any of our global competitors.
The GM, ANZ + Asia will be our senior-most leader in the region, one who proudly markets BigCommerce as authentically Australian and deeply committed to growing online retail in our home market. In addition to ANZ, the GM will also oversee our Asian operations, which currently consists of a pan-Asian agency channel partner manager based in Singapore. We have plans to grow staff over time while competing aggressively today in conjunction with our agency and technology partners. The GM will manage the Asia business for at least the next year or two until we potentially hire a dedicated Asia GM.
The GM, ANZ + Asia will have responsibility for organizational leadership (office, hiring, culture, solid- and dotted-line reporting), strategic leadership (target customers and partners, value proposition, competitive differentiation, priorities), execution (goals and objectives, operations), and P&L (revenue, expense) for our business in this region. The GM will not manage the local product and engineering staff, who report instead to those respective global organizations. The position will report solid-line into BigCommerce’s Global SVP of Sales, report dotted-line into the BigCommerce CEO (who visits Australia at least two weeks per year), and participate in the BigCommerce Executive Leadership Team.
In leading our ANZ + Asia business operations, the GM will leverage an existing customer base of >5,000 regional merchants and dozens of leading technology and design and solution partners. Globally, BigCommerce is the world's leading SaaS ecommerce platform for established and rapidly growing businesses. We enable businesses to build, manage, and grow online stores with 80% less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. Our customers benefit from industry-leading performance and functionality. Successful BigCommerce customers include 50,000+ SMBs, 2,000+ mid-market businesses ($1m-$50m online sales), 30+ Fortune 1000 companies, 25 merchants in the Internet Retailer 1000, and leading brands in almost every B2C and B2B category.
- #2, and fastest-growing, SaaS ecommerce platform serving the Internet Retailer 1000 (B2C)
- #2 SaaS ecommerce platform serving the Internet Retailer 300 (B2B)
- Top-ranked platform on G2 Crowd and TrustRadius
Well-known companies using BigCommerce include Procter & Gamble, General Electric, Sony, Sharp Electronics, Ford, Toyota, Pfizer, Nestle, Avery Dennison, DuPont, Ben & Jerry's, the Carolina Panthers, the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Detroit Pistons, Camelbak, Kelty and Sierra Design, Natori, Spinning, Cargill, and Georgia-Pacific.
What You’ll Do
Build our ANZ + Asia team
- Oversee all business operations and partnerships in ANZ and Asia
- Directly manage the sales team and indirectly manage all other local business functions (Marketing, Customer Success, Business Development, etc.)
- Lead office culture and employee engagement
Lead our ANZ + Asia strategies
- Identify and prioritize target customers (geography, size, verticals, etc.)
- Crystalize our value proposition for those customers and how it differentiates from competitive alternatives
- Prioritize quarterly and annual operational goals/objectives that achieve our strategic and financial objectives
- Identify and pursue key technology, design-solution, and business partnership opportunities
- Monitor competitive developments and generate global response recommendations (Product, Marketing, Business Development, etc.)
- Provide industry thought leadership (events, online content, etc.) that builds the BC brand
Oversee ANZ + Asia execution
- Establish a process for tracking and coordinating strategic objectives across all functions in ANZ + Asia
- Establish the highest standards for goal setting and performance
- Build a culture of accountability
- Coach and continuously improve all teams to achieve performance standards and set new higher ones
- Ensure coordination with functions and leadership in other global BC offices
- Identify and solve problems rapidly
- Identify and pursue great opportunities continuously
Own and deliver the ANZ and Asia P&Ls
- Work with global Finance, Sales, and Marketing leadership to set quarterly and annual budgets for ANZ and, separately, Asia
- Meet or beat the revenue and gross new sales targets on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Manage expenses within budget on a quarterly and annual basis
Who You Are
- World-class Australia-based General Manager
- 10+ years relevant experience, preferably with depth in ecommerce
- Proven track record of P&L ownership and performance that exceeds plan
- Exceptional examples of building and managing successful teams that set and achieve higher performance standards
- 6+ years senior leadership experience, including 3+ years GM or equivalent leadership at a $5M+ revenue division
- BA/BS in business or related field from a four-year college or university; MBA preferred
- A deep understanding of solution-oriented sales and high-level partnership development, specifically within the ecommerce industry
- Expert level knowledge of the SaaS model and ecommerce space
- Global experience – Experience working in multiple countries. Asian experienced desired but not required.
- Connected - You have a network and established relationships with key decision-makers that extends to the executive level within the commerce and adjacent technology sectors.
- Leader - You have a reputation for providing outstanding leadership, creating commitment and accountability, resolving conflict, influencing, inspiring teams, and creating an atmosphere in which people work together enthusiastically and cooperatively to produce outstanding results.
- Performance driven - You set and achieve the highest standards in both operational goals and financial targets.
- Product-oriented – You understand deeply the importance of product excellence and have the technical capacity to grasp, sell, and market how our product serves our target customers better than any European competitors. You have a proven track record of working with Product Marketing, Product Management, and Engineering to define and deliver market-specific product differentiation and leadership.
- Visionary - Propensity to think big and plan for the future with imagination and great judgment.
- Analytical - High degree of business acumen and ability to provide consistent, accurate performance forecasts.
- Solution oriented - Ability to identify and creatively solve complex problems. Experience in strategic roles (e.g., a top management consulting firm) highly desired.
- Agile - Capable of thoughtful yet rapid adaptation in response to changes in competitors, technologies, or market conditions.
- Master influencer - Excellent written/verbal communication and customer relationship skills are critical.
- Collaborative - Ability to forge strong bonds and work collaboratively with key external and internal partners such as Marketing, Business Development, Product, other Sales channels.
- Ethical - Customer focused and does the right things the right way every time.
- Travel flexible - Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed. This job may require upwards of 25% travel to meet with merchants and partners which may require overnight stays or week-long stays at locations (depending on project).
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Posted on: 04 January 2019