BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2019 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer. You will be working with team members to extend our products and integrate with a broad array of external services. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skill set and take ideas from inception to delivery.
As a Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the BigCommerce Data platform is available, reliable, rapid and secure. You'll be responsible for 24x7 operation of our Data Engineering infrastructure and services.
Our Data infrastructure runs in AWS and GCP. It consists of Apache Kafka, Apache HBase, Apache Airflow, Filebeat, Kafka Streams, Terraform, Puppet, Redshift, Snowflake, etc.
Who We're Looking For
- You have excellent analytical skills & intuition in solving problems in 24x7 production environments
- You are passionate about operating and maintaining large-scale systems
- You thrive in multitasking among concurrent problems, including issue triage and prioritization
- You drive issues to completion, marshalling resources in high-pressure situations
- Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented and comprehensible
What you will do
- Ensure our Data platform exceeds goals for availability, capacity, efficiency, scalability, and performance.
- Manage our production Data infrastructure on AWS and GCP cloud
- Performance analysis and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
- Proactive monitoring of system stats and application logs to identify & prevent potential issues
- Respond to production incidents across: triaging, troubleshooting and remediation
- Communicate effectively w/engineers & stakeholders. Describe problems succinctly to enable issue management
- Apply your deep expertise of systems administration and networking to improve operating procedures
- Ensure staging and development environments are representative of production
- Manage backups, configurations, documentation, monitoring, logging
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a team
Who you are
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, MIS or related equivalent experience
- 5+ years of total experience
- Experience with IaaS technologies and virtualization: GCP and AWS
- 3+ years’ experience operating and troubleshooting an enterprise Linux production environment, including load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies
- Experience with Docker containers, Terraform and Puppet/Chef
- Experience with common monitoring tools such as New Relic, Graphite, and Prometheus
- Experience in benchmarking and performance evaluation of various permutations of hardware and software
- A team player, fast learner, with a focus on getting things done
Nice to have
- Experience administering and maintaining Kafka and Airflow would be a huge plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning.
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.