BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin 2017 is looking for an experienced and proven Senior Quality Engineer who wants to join a well-established, fast-paced team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
You will be a member of our Integrations team incorporating 3rd party tools into the BigCommerce ecosystem expanding the options available to our merchants when setting up a store. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skillset and take ideas from inception to delivery. You’ll work closely with software engineers, designers, and product managers to define stories, acceptance scenarios, test plans/cases, and advocate for best practices that improve software quality. Ideal candidates will come from a strong business/technical background, have the ability to understand complex business requirements and technical architectures, and have the programming/automation skills to drive our testing infrastructure.
What You’ll Do
- Work with a product manager to define features, acceptance scenarios, and test cases.
- Write automation tests.
- Advocate for customer experience through consistency and simplicity.
- Work with engineers to ensure test cases are reflected in code and automated tests.
- Identify opportunities to use end to end tests to provide greater value and confidence around software.
- Advocate for practices and tools that promote quality, such as solution design, effective unit testing, static analysis, etc.
- Identify relevant quality metrics for the team like error rates and thresholds.
- Advocate for, implement and monitor tools that provide alerting on those metrics.
- Investigate defects and produce minimum viable test cases to reproduce them.
- Support frequent deployments to production.
- Help foster a culture of pride and obsession around delivering quality software.
Who You Are
- You’ve got 5+ years experience in software development with a heavy focus on quality
- You’re passionate about the quality and integrity of software experiences.
- You can empathize with and advocate for users.
- You understand the business and technical needs of feature development and can help product managers and engineers make decisions that deliver quality features in an optimised timeframe.
- You have great communication skills and can help facilitate meetings, discovery sessions, story writing and documentation.
- You have experience with automatic test frameworks like Selenium, PHPUnit, jUnit, RSpec, etc and understand their relative pros and cons.
- You have experience with continuous integration tools like Travis, Circle, Bamboo, Jenkins.
- You have experience testing APIs using Postman, SoapUI, etc.
- You thrive working in an agile environment where individuals and interactions matter more than process.
Other crucial skills:
- Have an excellent ability to communicate and coordinate
- Will speak up when something doesn’t feel right with constructive feedback
- Ability to identify application weaknesses and bad practices.
- Have excellent problem solving, critical thinking and debugging skills.
- Question everything, always
Our mission is to revolutionize commerce, bringing online selling and features once reserved for multi-billion-dollar companies to the masses. To make that a reality, we need exceptional people to build, support and grow our platform. If that’s you, come join a fast-growing company with more than 85,000 clients, a great culture, outstanding benefits and $125 million in funding from visionary investors like Steve Case's Revolution Partners, Softbank, Amex and Telstra.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Our Think Big Program encourages and rewards employee-led innovation. Employees are empowered to go above and beyond their daily duties to act on ideas that help our customers and/or improve the BigCommerce platform.
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Three especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco, and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven culture club (BC Biglife), activities such as happy hour, women’s networking groups, wine Wednesday’s, waffle Wednesday's, happy hours, massages, hackathons, movie nights, yoga and other team sporting activities, the list goes on…….
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events