BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce named a Great Place to Work is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer II for our Sydney office who wants to make an impact to every level of society through powering innovators, creative thinkers, entrepreneurs and business owners around the world to be successful at each stage of their business.
In the Site Reliability Engineering team at BigCommerce, we work across multiple time zones to ensure the continued 24x7 availability and performance of the critical infrastructure that runs our platform. We believe that a fast, reliable and secure platform gives our customers the best chance of living out their entrepreneurial dreams and achieving ecommerce success.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure our platform exceeds availability, capacity, scalability, and performance goals.
- Proactively monitor system performance, client-to-database
- Analyze and tune our systems. Identify bottlenecks. Forecast demand. Plan capacity
- Communicate with other engineers/stakeholders: describe problems succinctly to enable issue management
- Encourage engineering ownership of products in production
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a global team
Who you are:
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years managing customer-facing, high-availability, large scale web-based applications, including load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies
- Eagerness to learn new languages and technologies
- Deep understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP, caching, load balancing, and databases
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL) tuning and optimization. Memcached, Redis, and Elasticsearch are also nice
- Experience with tools such as Nagios, New Relic, Graphite, and statsd
- Puppet experience and desire to gain more
- A team player and fast learner, with a focus on getting it done
- Maintain calm in crisis: balance judgement with courage to fix production problems
- Have passion for building and operating large-scale commerce systems
- Thrive working on concurrent problems, including issue triage and prioritization
- Drive issues to completion. Marshal resources in high-pressure situations
- Obsessive in a good way: write clean, comprehensible, and well-documented code
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.