BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2018 is looking for an Instructional Design Specialist to develop unified training programs for the BigCommerce Learning Ecosystem, in particular Learning & Organizational Development, Human Resources, Sales Training, Strategic Business Development, Professional Services, and Partner Marketing.
Reporting to the Director, Learning and Organizational Development, this position designs and develops training curriculum and content that may use a variety of delivery methods including instructor-led courses, virtual, web-based, or other learning solutions. Contributes to increasing levels of product/retail knowledge, customer service, leadership development, employee development, retention and compliance to support business objectives and enhance performance.
What You’ll Do
- Design, develop and produce blended learning programs in line with Learning and Organizational Development strategy, business objectives and core values
- Ensures that training courses address all levels of learners - in employee, partner, and merchant levels.
- Designs course outlines, gathers supporting materials, develops course materials, presentations, and facilitation guides
- Uses web-based courseware or other online learning development tools/software to create interactive tutorials, course modules, and certification materials that include simulation scenarios, progress checks, and knowledge assessments
- Interface with multiple teams to eliminate redundancy in the current training organization and assist building a structure supporting a well-functioning, highly transferable set of knowledge and skills for all BigCommerce team members
- Partner with experts and stakeholders to create dynamic, relevant programs aligned with Learning and Organizational Development strategy and learning design standards
- Partner with content creators throughout BigCommerce and drive standard processes to ensure content is developed to internal technical and design specifications
- Leverage subject matter experts, existing materials, and the Learning and Organizational Development team, as well as assess industry wide best practices to make training recommendations
- Review processes, programs, and materials for effectiveness, updating when necessary.
- Promote learner driven, collaborative, and active training methods, limiting lecture style delivery
- Create content that will work in both printed and mobile formats and is device agnostic.
- Share current trends utilizing instructional design, neuroscience related to learning, delivery methods, and best practices
- Regularly reviews competitor content and strategies to ascertain effective content
- Contribute to building a highly skilled, nimble, creative, solution-driven, and results-oriented team
- Foster an atmosphere of empowerment and accountability
- Effectively manage multiple projects and priorities
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Who You Are
- 4+ years instructional design, content creation or curriculum design
- Proven experience in rapid content development using Storyline, Captivate, InDesign, Camtasia, or similar tools.
- Production powerhouse who can build material quickly using Storyline, Captivate, Inkling and InDesign; as well as edit video and audio efficiently and on demand.
- Proficient in learning management system terminology, e-learning authoring tools, other online tools, and learning industry standards design standards (SCORM/AICC/xAPI/TinCan, etc.).
- Excellent organizational skills, outstanding communication skills
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Ability to use critical-thinking skills to make decisions and display sound judgment and integrity
- Confidence and courage to work with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and a comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to changing priorities
- Persuasiveness in collaborating across a global, matrixed organization and scaling training initiatives to large groups across multiple locations
- Passion for the success of BigCommerce and our merchants; a sense of ownership for the success of the business
- Driven and results oriented, yet humble
- Amazing human being who strives to make the lives of others better a must
- Sense of humor, and/ or the ability to laugh when things get hectic, a HUGE plus