BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin 2017 is looking for an experienced and proven engineer who wants to join a well-established team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
You’d be building the future of technology at BigCommerce - one that hosts hundreds of thousands of merchants and powers billions of dollars of commerce every year. We build powerful tools and foundations that allow BigCommerce engineers to have a more productive, efficient, and happier experience developing software. We collaborate with teams to establish and implement procedures, standards, and architectures for ongoing development.
We’re focused on continuing developing our service-oriented architecture and expanding the functionality around our service mesh, as well as building the core functionality that continues our platform growth from an infrastructure and engineering perspective. If building frameworks, libraries, and tools that help other engineers move faster and develop better software is your thing, this is the position for you.
Who You Are
- 5-7+ years experience in building systems using at least two different languages: Ruby (required), Scala, PHP, Python, Node, etc. We currently primarily use Ruby, PHP, and Scala.
- You’re not afraid to jump into new systems and languages you’re not necessarily a domain expert on
- You love to refactor, abstract, and design in legacy and greenfield systems
- You enjoy explaining complex technical topics in a way that others can understand
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature in a service-oriented architecture
- You’re concerned with both the engineering, people, and communications challenges in scaling large software
- You understand building software isn’t just about writing code, but also about design, collaboration, and planning as well
- When things break, you’re the first to jump in and help fix them
- You’re not afraid of solving problems that haven’t been solved yet in the industry
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or equivalent experience
What You’ll Do
- Help design/architect/execute the building of new services for the BigCommerce platform.
- Build highly-available, distributed systems
- Engineer libraries and tools that reduce the amount of work other teams have to do when launching new services
- Write code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise
- Work closely with Ops/infrastructure to improve our architecture and scalability
- Work on Ruby, Scala, and PHP services and frameworks
- Help decompose our core PHP application into services
- Continue the development of our service mesh and API contract generation system
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven teambuilding activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events