BigCommerce, named Best and Brightest Place to Work For in San Francisco 2017 is looking for an experienced and proven engineer who wants to join a well-established, fast-paced team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
The Storefront team powers the storefront experience. We build scalable, performant services that enable merchants to create beautiful, personalized, and fast storefront experiences. The merchants on our platform transact billions of dollars in orders and we routinely handle Black Friday without a hitch.
We're focused on improving our industry-leading Stencil theming framework, extending its functionality with internationalization and tools that enable personalization and targeted marketing of products. In addition, we are improving performance and scalability through service decomposition, increasing concurrency, and using gRPC.
What You’ll Do
- Swap out the jet engine while the plane is flying. Port functionality of our existing monolithic application into Scala services.
- Rearchitect our storefront system to make it dramatically faster.
- Help design/architect/execute the building of new services for the BigCommerce platform.
- Build highly-available, distributed systems.
- Write code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise.
- Work closely with Ops/infrastructure to improve our architecture and scalability
- Work on Scala, Ruby, and Node microservices
- Assist in decomposing our PHP monolith
- Push yourself to learn the full BigCommerce tech stack: Scala, Ruby, Node, Docker, gRPC, LinkerD, and more…
Who You Are
- 5+ years experience in building systems using at least two of the following languages: Scala, Ruby, PHP, Python, or Node.
- Experience with microservices or service oriented architecture.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related experience.
- You’re not afraid to dive deep into legacy code and figure out how to make it better.
- You want to prove to the world that high-quality code can be delivered with speed.
- You enjoy explaining complex technical topics in a way that others can understand.
- You enjoy making yourself and your team better engineers.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when designing and building a feature.
- When things break, you’re the first to jump in and help fix them.
- You are results-oriented and like to use data to showcase progress.
Our mission is to revolutionize commerce, bringing online selling and features once reserved for multi-billion-dollar companies to the masses. To make that a reality, we need exceptional people to build, support and grow our platform. If that’s you, come join a fast-growing company with more than 85,000 clients, a great culture, outstanding benefits and $125 million in funding from visionary investors like Steve Case's Revolution Partners, Softbank, Amex and Telstra.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Our Think Big Program encourages and rewards employee-led innovation. Employees are empowered to go above and beyond their daily duties to act on ideas that help our customers and/or improve the BigCommerce platform.
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Three especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco, and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven culture club (BC Biglife), activities such as happy hour, women’s networking groups, wine Wednesday’s, waffle Wednesday's, happy hours, massages, hackathons, movie nights, yoga and other team sporting activities, the list goes on
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events