Launching a new online store can be a downright daunting task for anyone. We reached out to three seasoned e-commerce pros and asked them to share tips for anyone looking to start their own store. All of these tips came during a live chat in our brand new community spotlight section of the Bigcommerce forum.
1. Validate your product(s) first.
Kim Tevel, who currently runs DecorativeDishes.net, started selling online more than 15 years ago. One tip she recommends to all new store owners is to quickly validate if they have a viable product(s).
We would add in that instead of uploading your entire catalog of hundreds of products all at once, start with what you feel will be your five top-grossing products.
Carly launched her fashion and apparel store, Lady in Red, just over two years ago. With changes happening so frequently online, she recommends that all clients be open to testing new concepts and marketing practices.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with new marketing initiatives in your store. For example, have you checked out Pinterest’s rich pins yet?
3. Be committed to stick it out for at least a year.
David Ferguson has more than 10 years of experience designing and managing e-commerce stores, and currently runs the design shop Big Aussie Templates. He said that his most successful clients have been the ones willing to put in the hard work in the first one to two years that is so critical when it comes to spreading brand awareness and setting your store up for success for the long haul.
1. Before you get heavily invested in design and general store/product maintenance, make sure to validate your product(s) first.
2. Focus on SEO initially to give your store a strong foundation for the long haul.
3. Be adaptable and willing to experiment with new marketing initiatives.
4. Stick with it. It takes at least a year to know if you have a truly successful and sustainable business.
Most Popular Reads
- The Results Are In: The 22 Best Ecommerce Website Designs of 2018
- The 19 Ecommerce Trends + 147 Online Shopping Stats Fueling Sales Growth in 2018
- 28 Ecommerce Conversion Rate Optimization Steps Guaranteed to Increase Sales in 2018
- Ecommerce Return Policy Template: How to Write a Returns and Refunds Policy to 3X Sales [Examples Included]
- Ecommerce Shipping: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Shipping Profitability
Less Development. More Marketing.
Let us future-proof your backend. You focus on building your brand.