Chapter 15 M&M’s Stumble Upon Santa –– No One is Left Standing
The myth of Santa Claus is one told to children across the world, who drink up the story until reaching an age when they no longer believe he exists. The 1996 M&Ms campaign ‘Christmas Faint’ plays on this idea in a creative and amusing fashion.
The red M&M character is shocked to discover that Santa Claus exists, while Santa is equally stunned at the existence of red and green M&Ms. The short ad concludes with each character fainting in surprise.
- First, it plays into the nostalgia of leaving treats out for Santa as a child, an experience common to many in the West.
- Secondly, the ad introduces comedy as it suggests that the existence of Santa and the red and green M&Ms is equally unbelievable, with a slapstick element to the characters’ fainting.
The campaign has not undergone any particular innovation since its introduction.
Instead, other holiday advertisements have concentrated on different themes, such as in Australia where the red and yellow sweets audition for a part in the Christmas ad, or in the U.S. where the focus is on customizable sweets being handed out at a party.
Despite the lack of innovation, however, the memorability of the campaign has ensured its survival, and it is often rated as a favorite holiday ad.
Similarly to Hershey’s Holiday Bells, this campaign relies on its short length and readily accessible humor to ensure repeatability.
Tugging on Nostalgia
When I think of holiday campaigns, M&M comes to mind. Maybe that’s because I like to snack, but I think this brand has done a fantastic job of aligning their product with the holiday season.
In addition to that, they’ve created a campaign that pulls on feelings of nostalgia. Nostalgia is a powerful feeling, especially during the holidays.
– Stephen Slater, Digital Advertising Manager, TopRank Marketing
Holiday Marketing Takeaway
Nostalgia and humor are two of the most effective methods of engaging an audience in advertising — particularly when combined.
Most Popular Reads
- How to Master Product Photography on a Tight Budget (We Did it With Less Than $50)
- Everything You Need to Know About Achieving PCI Compliance [Checklist Included]
- 15 Google Shopping Campaign Tips to Make More Money While Spending Less
- The Definitive Guide to Selling on Amazon
- The 19 Ecommerce Trends + 147 Online Shopping Stats Fueling Sales Growth in 2018