Chapter 7 dutil.: Removing gender barriers from the online shopping experience
Why they won
dutil. was a finalist for the Innovation Awards.
For creative use of custom fields at the product level to fill industry and brand needs.
- Who submitted (and is quoted below): Madison Bentley, Ecommerce Manager
- Year founded: 2006
- Headquartered: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Ecommerce vertical: Direct to consumer (Apparel & Jewelry)
Business outcomes of the innovation
- Increased customer satisfaction and loyalty thanks to online store functionality aligning with brand’s mission.
What they do
dutil. is a premium denim manufacturer and seller.
Over the years, they’ve developed a reputation for making the most comprehensive and ethically sourced denim collections available to a diverse range of customers.
The challenge behind the innovation
Many of the jeans we sell are unisex, which provided a number of issues in terms of merchandising product.
We fixed this by switching all product thumbnails over to off-body flat lays, and by creating a custom field for gender: female, male + unisex.
How they make it work
By offering a custom field option, we let customers filter by gender, to show men’s, women’s and/or unisex products.
BigCommerce also lets products go into multiple categories, which let us have the same item in a men’s and women’s section of the website.
With BigCommerce, we are finally able to sell unisex jeans to both genders.
Want more insights like this?
We’re on a mission to provide businesses like yours marketing and sales tips, tricks and industry leading knowledge to build the next house-hold name brand. Don’t miss a post. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Most Popular Reads
- The 19 Ecommerce Trends + 147 Online Shopping Stats Fueling Sales Growth in 2018
- Ecommerce Return Policy Template: How to Write a Returns and Refunds Policy to 3X Sales [Examples Included]
- Ecommerce Shipping: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Shipping Profitability
- The Complete Guide to Advertising on Facebook: Strategies That Convert [in 2018]
- PCI Compliance: What It Stands For, How to Achieve It and Avoiding an Audit (Checklist included)