Wondering why your online store’s promotions are not taking off like you’d like? You’ve got to understand that an ecommerce promotional campaign is not just about sprinkling in some social or sending an email to your client base. It takes a strategy that targets every touchpoint, from beginning to end.
Watch this week’s #SellMore video to find out 10 steps to running a powerful promotion. After all, you want to build a better mousetrap and catch more customers, right? Scroll down to see the steps broken out.
Don’t misunderstand what I’m about to show you. You can absolutely mix and match, experiment and run exclusive promotions “for our Facebook Fans only” or partner with blogs to deliver special deals to readers throughout the entire year (not just holidays). However, the following checklist is chock-full of items and channels you should consider when planning a promotion for your ecommerce website. Do them all, and you’ve built a better mousetrap.
10 proven steps for online promotions that actually drive sales
- Determine your goal: Before you figure out what to do, you need to determine the goal of the campaign. Are you trying to increase your number of customers, increase the number of orders placed by existing customers or increase your average order value? Each goal will help you figure out the best plan of attack.
- Get your design together: Creating a unified branded experience adds to the level of professionalism of your store. It also builds continuing excitement around your campaign. Pull together a design to be used across your website, social, email, etc. and keep it simple. Make sure your date ranges and other relevant information including calls to action are clearly displayed.
- Crank it up with carousel images: Call attention to the promotion as soon as a shopper hits your website. At least one image on your carousel will do.
- Work it with website banners: Don’t just stop at the carousel. Continue your promotion throughout your site. This is particularly important in areas like the category or brand the promotion affects.
- Give it some PPC kick: Want to get your discount code, coupon or promotion in front of highly qualified shoppers? You’ve got to run a PPC campaign. It’s a no brainer!
- Strut it with an email blast: An email blast gets the word out, but are you sending the best message to the right audience? How are you segmenting your client base? Who are you targeting and why? Figure this out and develop segmented email campaigns.
- Step it up with a blog post: Is it possible to create great content around your store and announce to your shoppers there is a promotion? Perhaps you can explain the benefits of your product or service. Your own? Are you guest blogging?
- Slide in some social: Decide what your posting schedule is going to be across your social media channels. Make sure all posts are planned, lined up and ready to roll. If this promo goes off like you want, you won’t have the time to dream up cute tweets
- Pick it up product packing: Product packaging is a perfect way to wow your customer post sale. First of all, make the unvieling an experience that separates you from the big box retailers. Also, make sure you thank your customer for purchasing with some sort of drop in.
- Wash it down with some follow up: Leverage this new relationship by keeping up regular contact. This will continue to remind customers that your online store is the place to browse and purchase items when they are in the buying mood.
Want to go the extra mile? Check out these BONUS Pro Tips:
- Tracking: Create individual coupon codes for each outlet you decide to use. This will give you additional tracking insights for what’s working and what’s not.
- Prep the backend: Be sure to update and double check pricing on products on your online store products and stock up your inventory beforehand (you can always run a clearance sale later on).
Special thanks to some of our expert clients for their insight, including Melanie of Poppy Sports, Jennifer from The Eczema Company, Christopher from West of Cali, Melissa fromMel Jens Design and Taryn fromPicture it Creations for your words of wisdom during Bigcommerce’s community hangout on coupon codes and discounts.
Want to ask a question or suggest a topic for a future #SellMore video? Tweet @Bigcommerce or comment below to let us know! Tune in next week for our next #SellMore video for tips just like this!
Most Popular Reads
- PCI Compliance: What It Stands For, How to Achieve It and Avoiding an Audit (Checklist included)
- The 19 Ecommerce Trends + 147 Online Shopping Stats Fueling Sales Growth in 2018
- 55 Ecommerce Metrics & KPIs You Need to Measure to Drive 10X Growth in 2018 [Downloadable Tracker Included]
- How to Master Product Photography on a Tight Budget (We Did it With Less Than $50)
- The Definitive Guide to Selling on Amazon
Less Development. More Marketing.
Let us future-proof your backend. You focus on building your brand.