Most Popular Reads
- Ecommerce Trends: 135 Stats Revealing How Modern Consumers Shop in 2017
- PCI Compliance: What It Stands For, How to Achieve It and Avoiding an Audit (Checklist included)
- 15 Google Shopping Campaign Tips to Make More Money While Spending Less
- The Definitive Guide to Selling on Amazon
- How To Write Product Descriptions To Grow Sales [Samples Below]
A growing number of workers are creating a second source of income by starting their own businesses while also working a full or part-time job, a trend known as “moonlighting.”
We sampled nearly 20,000 of our U.S. stores and found that roughly 30-35 percent of all activity took place between 6pm and 8am CT, with a surprisingly large amount occurring after midnight.
Looking at various segments of time throughout a given workday, our data shows that at noon — the peak time for activity on Bigcommerce stores — nearly 80% of online retailers were found to be working on their stores. At midnight, there were still more than 49 percent actively working. At 3pm, nearly half of online retailers were working, with 25 percent still burning the midnight oil at 3am.
Check out this sweet graphic:
Breaking down who works when into regional groups paints an interesting picture of the state of the U.S. job market:
- The data found that 33% — the largest group of moonlighters — are based in Southern states (with Florida, Georgia and Texas having the highest concentration in the region).
- 27% are based on the West Coast (led by Arizona, Colorado and California).
- 24% of the U.S. moonlighters are in the Northeast (led by New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.).
- 15% are located in the Midwest (led by Michigan, Illinois and Ohio).
Are you a moonlighter (or maybe you’re looking to ditch your 9-to-5 and work on your online full time)? Don’t forget to join us for our Twitter chat with HubSpot tonight:
- What: Twitter chat — How to have a successful online business AND keep your day job
- Who: Bigcommerce, HubSpot and moonlighting entrepreneurs
- When: TONIGHT, Thursday, June 13 at 7pm ET
- Where: Twitter
- How: Follow the hashtag #BcSMBchat and use it for asking questions
Less Development. More Marketing.
Let us future-proof your backend. You focus on building your brand.