Today, we are excited to announce the public release of our BigCommerce for WordPress plugin.
BigCommerce for WordPress is an ecommerce plugin and full-featured integration that combines the flexibility of the WordPress platform with BigCommerce’s robust commerce engine, making it possible for millions of merchants using WordPress to grow and customize their ecommerce websites like never before.
The plugin, built in collaboration with WordPress experts Modern Tribe, has been in ‘early access’ since June 2018. Since then, it was tested by hundreds of developers and ecommerce agencies.
“Together with BigCommerce, we are excited to deliver a world-class, scalable commerce solution to the WordPress community,” said Travis Totz, director of new projects at Modern Tribe.
“With BigCommerce for WordPress —built the WordPress way and Gutenberg ready— developers can now easily leverage a modern SaaS ecommerce engine to power WordPress projects of all sizes.”
The general availability of the BigCommerce for WordPress plugin is only the first step in our ongoing efforts to deliver Commerce-as-a-Service, our open SaaS initiative intended to help brands seamlessly deliver commerce experiences through custom and commercial content management systems while centrally managing catalog, customer and order data through BigCommerce.
“WordPress powers the web presence of millions of businesses around the world, allowing them to bring their brands and content to life.
Our WordPress integration enables retailers to combine the world’s most popular content management system with the world’s best cloud commerce platform,” said Jimmy Duvall, chief product officer for BigCommerce.
“Through our Commerce-as-a-Service offering, we are further demonstrating to customers our commitment to delivering the industry’s most open SaaS ecommerce platform.”
In total, 30% of all websites are powered by WordPress, making it the most widely-used content management system globally.
Through BigCommerce for WordPress, content-first brands and their developers gain the ability to build and manage commerce experiences directly on the WordPress platform through a single plug-in, improving storefront performance and streamlining storefront management tasks.
“We love WordPress. It empowers us to customize our website in ways that match our brand values, and it enables us to tell compelling stories alongside our retail partners,” said Chris Grow, global marketing manager at Firewire Surfboards.
“With BigCommerce for WordPress we’ll have what we’ve always wanted – a laboratory for experimenting with ecommerce experiences that both bring value to Firewire retailers and enable more surfers to find our surfboards who previously couldn’t access them.”
Benefits for Retailers
At launch, three BigCommerce customers are fully launched on the solution, including:
Here are the biggest benefits each retailer gets with BigCommerce for WordPress.
- Seamless content-and-commerce experiences. BigCommerce for WordPress gives merchants access to the industry-leading ecommerce capabilities necessary to grow an online business at scale without compromising site content or user experiences.
- Industry-leading ecommerce scalability. By transferring the commerce elements from the WordPress admin to BigCommerce, merchants can enjoy a more efficient experience that is not impeded by back-end bloat and can quickly scale ecommerce functionality as the need arises.
- Out-of-the-box commerce functionality. WordPress developers can quickly integrate end-to-end commerce capabilities to an existing themes and site experience using BigCommerce’s ecosystem of apps and sizable catalog of fully-integrated payment and shipping methods to build an ecommerce offering that is tailored to their business needs.
- Enhanced ecommerce security and peace of mind. BigCommerce guarantees a secure, PCI compliant checkout, enabling merchants to deliver a superior website experience without the added concern of managing and maintaining PCI compliance.
- AMP optimized and ready. Our WordPress ecommerce plugin supports WordPress’ standard method of overriding template files so you can modify out-of-the-box designs, including AMP pages. Crank up the speed of your BigCommerce for WordPress site with AMP, turning your pages into AMP-friendly shopping experiences.
“Carluccio’s is a brand that is built on brilliant people working in the business, suppliers creating amazing products, and the ingredients themselves,” said James Backhouse, marketing director at Carluccio’s.
“We are unusual in having both restaurants and delis retailing our products, and we wanted to bring this all to life in our online presence.”
“Our aim was to develop a website that did the fundamentals really well – whilst also demonstrating the stories behind the brand and products, and linking seamlessly into ecommerce.
To do this, we needed a platform that could strike the balance between traditional ecommerce and a content-rich website.
This newly-launched site has definitely accomplished that.”
Benefits for Developers
- Made the WordPress Way: From the beginning, we set out to build our integration the WordPress Way: delivering value to the community, building it with WordPress experts, and making something developers can make their own. Our integration reflects the WordPress culture of empowerment, inclusion, and individuality.
- Made to make your own: No iFrames necessary — get full catalog data access within WordPress so you can do what you want. The BigCommerce integration allows you to port over a copy of the product catalog with a robust commerce feature set and start selling on WordPress. Simply hook into our plugin to build whatever you need for your storefront experience.
- Unrestricted access to key plugin files: Have a highly-customized theme and site? We’ve got you covered. Our plugin supports WordPress’ standard method of overriding template files so you can modify out-of-the-box designs. Customize your product cards, lists, and cart without risking plugin updates that will undo your changes.
Your Content & Commerce Solution
Let us reduce the burden of PCI compliance, catalog management, and the challenges of commerce.
You build the most beautiful, engaging website in WordPress history.
The power is at your fingertips.
Get started now.
EXPLORE BIGCOMMERCE DOCUMENTATION & LEARN MORE
Want more insights like this?
We’re on a mission to provide businesses like yours marketing and sales tips, tricks and industry leading knowledge to build the next house-hold name brand. Don’t miss a post. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Less Development. More Marketing.
Let us future-proof your backend. You focus on building your brand.
A commerce engine made for WordPress
The perfect headless commerce integration for WordPress.