Most Popular Reads
- How to Master Product Photography on a Tight Budget in 2017 (We Did it With Less Than $50)
- Omni-Channel Retail in 2017: What Brands Need to Know and Modern Consumer Shopping Habits
- 55 Ecommerce Metrics & KPIs You Need to Measure to Drive 10X Growth in 2017 [Downloadable Tracker Included]
- 15 Google Shopping Campaign Tips to Make More Money While Spending Less
- Ecommerce Trends: 139 Stats Revealing How Modern Customers Shop in 2017
In an effort to understand the changing landscape of e-commerce, we examined analyst and trend-watching data from several sources to build some context around the emergence of m-commerce (mobile commerce). Retail as an industry is experiencing tectonic shifts in consumer behavior and the popularity of devices like smartphones and tablets is having a significant impact on both online and in-store shopping. Remarkably, these relatively new trends are creating their own, newer trends. Showrooming is becoming a common activity in brick-and-mortar stores and gives consumers an opportunity to see and experience products that they then purchase online of via mobile devices.
Price competition has been a driving force in e-commerce trends and m-commerce is giving shoppers exponentially more control over their shopping experience. In the United States alone, m-commerce is expected to hit $18 billion by 2014 with e-commerce making up more than half of all retail purchases worldwide. Ensure your business is prepared for the shifting environment and don’t get left behind.
A few significant data points from the research:
- Smartphone users spend more time on mobile apps than on mobile sites
- 1 out of every 5 people research products on mobile devices while watching TV
- Men are set to outspend women on mobile devices
- Digital content is still the leading product purchased via mobile device
- Mobile shoppers make the majority of their purchases on the weekends
- 53% of mobile consumers use their device to “showroom” products
Check out the whole story in the infographic below (click on the image to view larger.)
Less Development. More Marketing.
Let us future-proof your backend. You focus on building your brand.